Thursday, April 30, 2009

Megan Leslie from the House of Commons, Thurs, April 23rd

"Madam Speaker, yesterday Canadians and people around the world celebrated Earth Day. In that spirit, I would like to highlight an exciting event taking place back home that brings attention to the rich biodiversity of Nova Scotia.
The Birds are Back Celebrity Challenge pits Nova Scotian public figures against one another in a race to find and record the province's birds returning for spring.
Birds are on the front lines as our climate changes. The Ecology Action Centre in Halifax has organized Birds are Back to bring attention to the risk that these incredible creatures face with increasing pollution and a warming climate.
I am in this game to win. So far I have caught a glimpse of a grackle and a robin and I look forward to seeking out the piping plover when I head to Crystal Crescent Beach this weekend.
I wish my fellow contestants luck, and I commend the EAC for this important initiative. Happy birding."

No comments:

Post a Comment